Austroads is the association of Australian and New Zealand road transport and traffic authorities. Austroads members are the six Australian state and two territory road transport and traffic authorities, the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, the Australian Local Government Association and the New Zealand Transport Agency. The members are:
- Roads and Maritime Services New South Wales
- Roads Corporation Victoria
- Department of Transport and Main Roads Queensland
- Main Roads Western Australia
- Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure South Australia
- Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources Tasmania
- Department of Transport Northern Territory
- Territory and Municipal Services Directorate Australian Capital Territory
- Commonwealth Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Australian Local Government Association
- New Zealand Transport Agency
Austroads members are collectively responsible for the management of over 900,000 kilometres of roads valued at more than $200 billion representing the single largest community asset in Australia and New Zealand. Each year in excess of $18 billion is spent on roads across Australia and New Zealand which is a significant investment by all levels of government.
Austroads vision is to be recognised for leadership in providing high quality information and advice and fostering research in the Australasian road and road transport sectors.
Austroads purpose is to:
- promote improved Australian and New Zealand transport outcomes
- provide expert technical input to national policy development on road and transport issues
- promote improved practice and capability by road agencies
- promote consistency in road and road agency operations.
Austroads is governed by a board, comprising the chief executive, or their nominee from each member organisation. The board generally meets three times each year as a minimum and has responsibility for providing clear policy and strategic direction. It also monitors the performance of Austroads against strategic objectives and approves the annual work plan and budget.
Website - http://www.austroads.com.au/
2014 Austroads Glossary of Terms
The updated 2014 edition of the Glossary of Terms includes new terms and revised definitions to reflect the Austroads work undertaken from 2010-2013.
The Austroads Glossary of Terms provides an A-Z list of more than 2,500 road transport terms with definitions.
The Glossary of Terms was developed to bring consistency to the use of terms and definitions by Austroads members and other stakeholders in the road and transport industry. It also helps users of Austroads publications by providing supporting information for the terms used in the Austroads body of work.